13 January 2008

Houston

Rather than email I thought I'd compile a list and post it here: Things to do in Houston!

Aside from the weather (and okay the traffic), Houston is an awesome, awesome city.

I don't know much about the North side of town but there is always something to do Downtown. The museum district is always interesting and you get a bit of culture. The Museum of Natural Science is very cool even if you're not a science nerd. The Museum of Fine Arts is free on Thursdays. And of course, being a student I'm going to point out the Blaffer Art Gallery at UH. More info on the Museums and all that can be found here.

For antique & thrift store shopping plus an extra-cool atmosphere and people, go up and down Westheimer around Montrose. Agora also happens to be in that area, one of my favorite coffee houses/ bars.

The Miller Outdoor Theater puts on free shows throughout the year, and it's a GREAT cheap thing to do.

You can go down to Kemah and spend some time on the boardwalk. Go down to Galveston or take the ferry over to Crystal Beach and have a bonfire in the summer time. The beaches aren't that great but hey, we take what we can get.

The ONLY mini golf place in Houston that I have found is here.

Nasa and Space Center Houston.

The Downtown Aquarium.

Get some major yuppie shopping done or go ice skating at the Galleria. (it's on Wikipedia!)

There are always cheap seats at baseball and football games.

The Laff Stop isn't cheap but it's fun for every once in a while.

The Mad Potter and the River Oaks Theater on West Gray are different. Oh, and over at Hwy 6 and Westheimer is the Alamo Drafthouse, a restaurant and movie theater in one. They, along with the River Oaks Theater, show unconventional movies not normally shown in regular movie theaters.

I've heard some cool things about Hotel ZaZa but have never gone there. Haven't been "out" on the town in a while so I don't have the scoop on the clubs.

The Flying Saucer is a great place to go drink beer. So is Woodrows and Little Woodrows. I've also heard good things about Drink Houston. Plenty of Karaoke places, too.

You can smoke Hookah at Cafe Layal on Richmond.

The Houston Livestock Show and Rodeo is a big deal, and that's coming up shortly.

Traffic: this website helps.

and this just looked fun.

This should help on those days when I go, "I'm BORED."

1 comment:

  1. Perfect, thanks so much! The Museum of Natural History was already on my list because I'd really like to see Lucy. I'm sure I'll check out other things on your list as well. Thanks again!

    ReplyDelete