21 August 2010

win...fail... win?

Wow, yesterday was quite the day. Not only did I become employed, but I had plans for the evening.

Akhtar convinced me to go see Vanilla Ice. I know, what random things would I do if I wasn't friends with him, right?

So we go, and we go early when the doors opened at 8 to snag a decent table. However, all of the available tables were reserved and it was standing room only, but at this point the place was pretty empty. So we stood there and hung out and waited for the show to start. At about 930, the opening act came on, and it was pretty mediocre, but I was glad for some entertainment (besides the AWESOME people-watching).

Dude played for about 30 minutes, then it was back to some rather awesome old-school music that just played over the speakers. It sounded like Vanilla Ice wasn't scheduled to come on until much later, because another band was (eventually) going to play first. At about 1030, my feet are starting to hurt from just standing, waiting, for that long. And it's not like you could have a decent conversation to pass the time because it was so loud.

We met up with some of his coworkers, one of which who was cool and one of which was a huge old creeper. At some point we ventured outside to the smoking area, which was this cool parking lot under the overpass. I got a call from Chris because he's on weekend liberty, and we have a quick convo about how he's been using grenade launchers and machine guns and the like. Very cool and more on that later.

At about 11, I'm at the point where I'm freaking starving and my feet feel huge and I'm pretty much over the whole show and I'm starting to wish I still carried around emergency candy. Fortunately, Akhtar is also starving, so we decided to brave the crackies and get some food at the McDonald's across the street and come right back. Of course, the dining room closes at 11. Simple solution: get the car and go through the drive through.

Problem: when we get to the car, it's blocked into the back row. It was one of those gravel parking lots and rather than keep a pathway open for cars to leave, people just parked in a solid line from fence to fence. I couldn't believe it.

So starts a wild goose chase from calling the towing service to talking to the valet to the club to the parking management on the other side of the building to the policeman at the club to the valet, to the club, etc etc. Everyone's trying to say it's someone else's responsibility. At that point I'm REALLY not feeling the show and I'm getting shaky from hunger and we decided to look and see if anyone had left and magically created an opening. Before we can get back to the parking lot, we run into another person who's trapped in the back row taking to a policewoman and he seems to have gotten a fire lit under people's asses. Thank goodness.

Tow trucks are called and arrive, but there's dispute over who can give authority to tow cars. So we wait, in the presence of about 5 tow trucks. SO CLOSE.

In the meantime, there is a small crowd of about 5 people wanting to leave and we're milling about and talking. One guy leaves the club and pulls out of his parking spot, to go where... I don't know. Akhtar first notices that he's very obviously drunk and driving, and decides to give the police a head's up. While he's in the process of doing that, the drunk guy REAR ENDS a parked car in which one of our newfound trapped friends is sitting. So then he's just opened a whole new world of entertainment for us. In short, he couldn't find his insurance, and when they did it was expired, and his license was expired for a year, and the policeman said it was probably so expired because it was suspended for a DUI. So they want to arrest him, but have to wait for a sergeant to arrive.

We end up waiting to see what happens, and eventually at 1230 or so all the tow trucks leave and the policeman tells us that they can't tow anyone and the people who can give the authority elected not to tow because they share the parking lot with the living space above the club and would probably get sued if the cars blocking the entrance were residents' cars blah blah blah. He said we'd just have to wait until the club let out and people cleared the lot.

By some miracle, by that point two people had happened to leave and cleared a pathway out of the back row. The odds are crazy and no one really noticed until that point, and I wonder how long it had been open.

We high-tailed it to 59 diner and had some grub and a banana split, and came home exhausted and never did see Vanilla Ice. Good riddance! Despite all the crap, I actually had a decent time.

Oh, oh, and THEN I came home to a relationship request on facebook. Whaaa? For years, I've set it to not specify mine and Chris has stayed single. I've teased him about it a few times, but in the end, I like my nondescript status.
But for some reason he decided that it was time to make it facebook official, and it's not like I could deny it. It actually makes me nervous for reasons I'll get into later, as this post is much too long. It's really weird to see this when I log on- it makes it very... real. But it makes me happy at the same time because I really miss his ass.



No comments:

Post a Comment