17 July 2019

coffee, kitty, pink

I have news.

I got rid of the Keurig.

I KNOW.
I have loved that thing for a long time. But I decided to go back to the basic 4-cup model for several reasons.

1. Cost. K-cups are expensive and regular coffee is cheap.
2. Waste. I hated how much waste the little pods produce. Sure, you can peel the lid off of the used k-cup and dump out the grounds and then recycle it, but I don't have time for that. The coffeemaker I have now has a washable filter so I don't have to throw out anything except coffee grounds.
3. Customization. I have gotten to the point where I like a STRONG cup of coffee and you just can't do that with the Keurig. Now, I can make a whole pot of coffee as strong as I like.
4. Timing. Yes, you can set a timer on the Keurig so that it turns on and heats up before my alarm goes off, but I still have to wait 30 seconds for the cup of coffee to brew. In pre-coffee time, that 30 seconds is an eternity. When I finally stop pushing the snooze button and drag my ass into the kitchen, the old-school coffee maker has my coffee already brewed and happily waiting hot in a cute little carafe.

I'm happy with my decision. I keep toying with the idea of moving it into my bedroom for even faster coffee access and extra get-out-of-bed motivation, but I think cleanup would be a pain.

The Keurig went to FG. Well, I put it in the new camper he just bought. I feel like it would serve a better purpose for the few cups we drink when we go camping.


In other news, Pumpkin is still on steroids, for the rest of her life probably. She promptly stopped eating after the last round, and I was seriously afraid I would come home to a dead cat. I mean, when they stop eating it's usually because they're getting ready to die. Now, she's eating more and she looks more alert, happier, back to her old self. The vet said the steroids are also probably helping with the arthritis/ inflammation so even though long-term use has its own side effects, the benefits outweigh the risks. So instead of dying from one thing, she'll die of another.

I know this is the beginning of the end, but if I can make this last little bit of her life more comfortable and happy with drugs, here we go. Wrapping my head around the idea of not having my little kitty around anymore. It makes me sad and makes me feel so much more guilty about all this travel. Mom and Akhtar have really come in clutch, going over to the house to feed her and give her pets. When I'm home, she gets tons of attention and as many treats as she wants.


In house news, I've got one more wall to paint in the living room but I'm going to wait until after the engagement party because I plan to tape stuff on it. After that, it's on to the master bathroom.

Did I mention that I now have a squatty potty?? I guess I talked about it once around them, and FG's daughters/ex-wife pitched in and bought me one, as a thank you for being around when they were all struggling with Nicole's death. Chloe even wrote me a beautiful card. It was so touching and also funny because they bought me a stool to use when I poop and it wasn't weird to them at all. They excitedly handed it over like it was a crock pot or something.
That's how I know these are my people.
Poo struggles are real, y'all! And I do have to say, it makes a difference. They even got me a pink one, because FG told them I was going to paint my bathroom pink. Now I need to get on the ball with that.

P.S. FG got a hot tub and I think one of his main reasons was so that I would be motivated to come over more to use it. And you know what? He's not wrong. That thing is awesome and the best part is, I didn't have to pay for it and and I don't have to maintain it.

No comments:

Post a Comment