23 September 2019

wait...what.

I want to take a few minutes to record something that I noticed.

The hotel room in Memphis was... not up to my standards.

It was gross. Dirty. Probably not to a normal person, but to me it was.

The first thing I do in every hotel room is wipe down the door handles, light switches, fridge handles, remotes, etc. When you travel as much as I do, you statistically are exposed to more germs than you would be if you went home every night, and those places are statistically higher risk for exposure. It makes sense, and I want to stay healthy.
Usually it's a precautionary measure, and I don't uncover much filth, which is nice.

Well, in this hotel room I started wiping, as I do, and with every surface that I wiped, the cloth came back dirty and black. It seemed as if everything was grimy. Even the bedside table had something that I can only assume was a booger, and the dining table had a coffee ring on it. It was like housekeeping didn't wipe ANYTHING down. I was seriously grossing out, and it escalated as I attempted to clean each new surface and each time the cloth came back dirty.

I frantically exclaimed my disappointments, as FG quietly unpacked his suitcase into the dresser, which I had previously wiped out because there were hairs and dust inside the drawers. He didn't say anything, except that maybe no one ever cleans the remotes except me, and it wasn't until today that I realized how chill he is.

He could have agreed with me, fueling the fire.
He could have disagreed with me, which might have caused a fight.
He could have told me to calm down.
He could have pointed out that I was overreacting, which would have caused tension even though he was right.
He could have suggested we change rooms, which would have evoked even more anxiety.

He could have done a hundred things.

But, no. I was too fired up to be rational, and he knew it.

This man went about his business, stayed chill, and let it pass. I honestly don't even know what he did while I whizzed about the room wiping things down because he stayed out of my way.

He patiently let me have my ridiculous moment, didn't stress, waited until I fizzled out, and then when I calmed down we carried on with life, happily.

Oh my God.
What a freaking genius.

I wonder how much he does that?

No comments:

Post a Comment