30 July 2021

life in small chunks

Have the house to myself tonight. For the first time since February.

My original plan was to grab a friend and get a glass of wine at this cute little wine bar in Richmond that has music.

But I had a terrible headache all day, and while I was in the shower the power went out. I tried not to think creepy thoughts, but how can you not think about killers coming to get you when you're home alone and the power goes out during your shower?? A big storm blew through so Pumpkin and I sat on the back porch watching it for about an hour until the power came back on.

By then I was tired and headachey and hungry and I never actually called a friend to go out so I ate leftovers and made brownies and drank some wine and watched Friends.

You know, it's basically what I used to do back when I lived by myself. And what I'd probably be doing if FG was home except we'd be watching netflix instead of Friends.

We got in this rut where we don't go out or do anything and I'm trying to mix it up a bit. Like see a movie on a Tuesday, or start working out twice a week, or have date nights on Fridays. I miss traveling for work. I miss doing things. I'm very, very over sitting around the house.

Other small updates:

We decided to postpone getting a gym membership, because if we're going to start having to wear masks again, we won't be going to the gym. Still doing daily pushups, though. I'm back up to 15 at a time.

I decided the porch should have a pool house vibe. I chose a color scheme of turquoise and yellow, painted a few things, and it currently holds pool toys, towels, sunscreen, etc. It looks really cute, especially considering that we started with a dark, smelly gross room, and now it is clean and has a purpose so I'm happy about that. We got a blow-up pool for the backyard and although it's a temporary solution, I'm digging it. It's very nice to sit in and have a cocktail at the end of the day or after getting hot and sweaty doing yardwork.

The garden is so sad right now. Hardly anything is making it through this heat. Also I don't think zucchini like to be in pots. Learning some lessons here.

We went to visit Missy and Zach last weekend. Man, I miss her. There were several times where I almost said, "Let's have coffee next week" or, "Next time we go to the beach you should join us" before I remembered they live 4 hours away. 

FG's dad will be visiting for a week. He has some health issues and needs assistance with things like taking showers and walking and taking insulin. I won't be helping with the showers but I will have to wear pants around the house. Fortunately he's not a cranky old man and is pleasant to be around. He doesn't say much because he requires oxygen and gets winded easily, but when he does talk he's pretty funny and agreeable. I'm actually looking forward to getting to know him a little better.

I FINALLY figured out the perfect pancake temperature on the stovetop. Cooking on electric after being spoiled by a gas stovetop has been a challenge, and this has been a major hurdle. I think I can finally live in this house now.

You know how I bitch a lot about how the worst part of living with a dude is the pee dribbles on the toilet rim? Well, I went to go clean the toilet the other day and it was... clean. Come to find out, he has been wiping off the rim of the toilet every single time he pees. Can you believe that? Can you?

1 comment: