31 May 2020

con artists

You know, I told my realtor that I had a bad feeling about these buyers right from the beginning.

Sure enough, the day before the option period is up, they come back with a list of repairs (all of which were disclosed on the previous inspection report), asking for $15k.

The worst part is, 2 years ago my inspector noted some foundation movement and said that it didn't need repair, just to water and monitor. The most recent inspector noted the exact same foundation movement, but he said that it needs to be fixed. 

Judging from the way the initial bargaining went and my intuition, I think the buyers wanted to find something wrong so that they could get a better deal, and I think they made sure the inspector delivered just that. I really have a feeling that this inspector is crooked, not the foundation. I could be wrong, but it's what my gut is telling me.

There is no difference in the foundation in the 2 reports, just 2 different opinions. Of course the buyers are going with the opinion that gives them more bargaining room, and insisted that the foundation be "fixed," to the tune of $10k- cash at closing.

I want to tell these people to hit the road with their con artist demands, but the problem is, now that a "foundation issue" has been "identified," I will have to disclose it to any future buyers. Even if I get a third opinion who says that it's fine, that one person saying it needs work is enough to raise a red flag.

Essentially there is now a big fat scarlet letter on my property. Which means I either have to make an expensive deal with these people, or put it back on the market with "foundation issues" and everyone will run away.

Still negotiating, but it's going to cost me a huge chunk of money either way. These people fucked me.
 
I am so mad but at this point if I can just sell it and not have to deal with it anymore, it might be worth the extra money. 

1 comment: