26 January 2020

sweet home

I had a dream that it was time to move.
And I woke up and thought, "Okay."

I always knew I would not stay in this house for a long time. It was great for what I needed it to be when I needed a house fast and it was available, but this is not my ideal house. It's bigger than what I want, the location in the neighborhood is too busy, and it's expensive.

Every year the property taxes go up, and it's already at the top of my budget, so I don't see how this can be sustainable for much longer.

I think a realistic timeline will be to put it on the market and start the process of looking for a new house early next year. The 2-year mark of living in this house is in June, but I'm not sure I'll be ready to move then.

My realtor will probably think I'm crazy. I don't foresee making much of a profit on this house, but even if I break even, when I move into smaller house, my monthly expenses will be less and in the long run it will be better for me.

The good news is, since I just moved, there's not much to purge. I plan to get rid of some of the furniture that I don't love, instead of paying to move it into a smaller place where I may not have room for it.

Also, I will not be on a strict deadline like last time, so I can take my time to find a place I really love.

I discussed this with FG, since the topic of us moving in together has come up a few times. Neither of us are ready for that step, but it may happen at some point in the next few years.

Taking that into consideration, my plan is to buy a house that I love, but that would also make a good rental property in the event that we do decide to live together. He already has 2 rental properties, and that's a pretty decent little financial cushion.

Again, all of these plans are preliminary and I'm still in the process of wrapping my head around moving again, but... here we are.

No comments:

Post a Comment