30 November 2019

35, quietly

Today I turned 35.

For many years, I've treated birthdays like any other day. As an adult, they lost their special-ness. This year, for some reason, this birthday seemed significant. Maybe because it's a nice, round number? Maybe because I'm firmly in my mid-thirties, and the next big birthday is 40 (which is scary)?

Regardless, I woke up late, ate pumpkin pie for breakfast (Thanks, Ash!), got my hair cut, went to Dollar Tree, and then sat on the couch watching Hallmark movies and reading magazines for the rest of the day while Pumpkin purred beside me. I decided not to go to Austin because the last thing I wanted to do was drive. Towards the end of the day I thought about calling a friend and grabbing a drink at this cute local wine place, but then I would have had to put on a bra and to be honest, I was perfectly happy to spend the day relaxing.

I needed a calm day like today.

FG's hunting trip got cut short, so he wound up in town and came over late in the evening. He plans to install a security light on the side of the house tomorrow, something I've been wanting for a while. Happy birthday to me... few things are hotter than a toolbelt and home improvement.

He is currently snoring softly in the bedroom while Pumpkin licks a can of wet food clean in the kitchen. I'm enjoying a glass of wine at the bar and planning next week's menu. It's raining and I can hear it pattering on the skylight in the yoga room.

You know, life is pretty amazing.

Nothing is ever perfect, and things can change in an instant, but I think 35 is going to be a good age for me.

Cheers.

1 comment: