23 March 2020

co-habitation ideas

This past weekend, FG and I were sitting on his couch drinking wine and chatting, when he started talking about painting the living room. Then he mentioned that he'd like to put in a skylight and remove the curtains in the windows by the front door.

He's been talking about wanting to do a few updates in his house for a while, but it hit me that he's talking about updating things that I've specifically mentioned that I don't like.

No- I don't walk around his house talking about everything that's ugly.

To back up a little, a while back when FG and I had the, "moving in together" talk, he asked if I would want to move into his house, and I said no.
As part of the conversation I mentioned that there were a number of things that I simply don't like about his house, including the lack of natural light and no counter space in the bathroom, how I prefer a gas stove and a tub in the master bedroom, etc.
If we were to move in together, I suggested moving into a different house that works for both of us.

Well, his house works for him (and has for 20 years), and he does not want to move, especially because the house is almost paid off. So yes, he's been talking about doing some updates, but I just noticed that lately he's been talking about making changes that would make me happier with the house.

Although I'm still not going to move in any time soon, I think that's the sweetest thing. It's really hard to change things that you've grown accustomed to over a long time, especially when you have no problem with how things are. The fact that he's open to change (including remodeling) is a big deal. I think he's a better person than I am when it comes to things like that.

No comments:

Post a Comment