18 March 2020

long day

Dang, there has been a lot of covid-drama in the last day or so.

Work has officially prohibited non-essential hospital visits and travel, which puts some huge kinks into my current project. Fortunately I'm not stuck at home, because I'm working at a reference lab and they don't have any restrictions in place... yet. Since I'm local, some of the responsibilities that were placed on people who were supposed to travel in are now assigned to me. It's made for some stressful days.
Both we and the customer are scrambling to adapt, although once we do, more restrictive measures will certainly follow.

In the meantime, I have been experiencing anxiety about finding grocery items that I'm running low on. I went to the grocery store today and it was not bad. I was able to find eggs, peanut butter, and almost everything on my list, except kale. There was not a dark, leafy green in the whole store. Plenty of other produce, but no spinach, kale, or salad greens.
I did not expect that but at least now I have enough coffee and I can relax.

I was also able to go see the eye doctor. I've been having some discomfort in my left eye and figured it would be a good idea to get it checked out before society shuts down. It's not red or anything, so I half-expected the doctor to tell me nothing was wrong.

Turns out, I'm not crazy. There is a wrinkle on the cornea, most likely from a little wonky Lasik healing that has been further irritated by these insane seasonal allergies. I got prescribed steroid drops, but of course I couldn't just go to the pharmacy and get them. I guess insurance doesn't want to cover the cost and they are $250 for a tiny bottle, so I have to contact the doctor again to see what else I can use. In the meantime it hurts every damn time I blink.

Needless to say, I'm annoyed and cranky and will probably go to bed early.

A little reckless optimism:
Tomorrow is another day. We will work out the issues at this customer site, the instruments will run great, the customers will be happy. I will get lots of utilization hours.
I'll get the right eye drops at a low price quickly, and my eye will start to feel better. The pollen levels will drop and my allergies will subside. I'm going to feel happy, energetic, and healthy.

No comments:

Post a Comment