20 September 2018

better now

It was several weeks ago, when I was taking a yoga class, that I happened to notice every woman in the class had a ring on her left hand.

I suddenly became very self-conscious of my ring-less hand, and a wave of some complicated emotion washed over me. I was the only single woman in the class. What a strange, new distinction.

It was a rare moment, feeling sorry for myself. As strong as that feeling was, I forced myself to think positive thoughts, change my perspective. I started to wonder how many of those women were happy, how many were angry, how many different paths their lives had taken.

I started to think about the path my life has taken.

And I felt overwhelmingly grateful.

I'm thankful that I'm not struggling every day to figure someone else out. I only have to figure myself out, and it turns out, it's not hard at all.

I love the freedom I've got, and I love how strong I feel. I love that I'm back to being that happy person I used to be.

As for the perspective change, I know that the future can be just as unpredictable as the past, so it's been that much easier to appreciate the moment I'm in.

1 comment: