25 February 2018

Yin

Although my emotional state has been pretty steady lately (in part due to the many encouragements sent my way ♥), I've been feeling a little off and lost.
Since they tend to clear my head, I figured a yoga class would help. The only class offered on Sundays is called Soulful Sunday Yoga. Sure, why not?

This class was a little different than what I'm used to.

Today was a large class; about 8 people, plus the instructor. There was chatting amongst the group beforehand, and several folks have a lot going on. Moving across the country, starting new jobs, life changes, etc.

So the instructor focused on the community in the room, specifically. She told us to visualize inhaling positive energy and strength from the rest of the group, and exhaling doubts and fears so that the group would take a little bit of that energy and dissipate it. Kinda hippie, but right now I welcome anything- different ideas help direct my focus.

50 affirmations for goal-getters // rachelgadiel.com

The poses themselves were interesting and thoughtful. With this type of yoga, each pose is designed to be uncomfortable at first, but it's held for 3-5 minutes, and after a little while you end up stretching into it. I moved in ways I never have before. There were several areas where my muscles felt very tight; I know I carry my stress in my lower back and hips. By the end of each pose I felt more flexible, and like the tension in that area had slowly melted away. A fascinating combination of the mental and physical.

So after the hour of yin, now it's laundry and the usual Sunday stuff. The weather has brought rain and that unique gulf coast combination of humid, cool air.

It's a new day and even through my struggles I'm remembering to count my blessings.

No comments:

Post a Comment