28 August 2018

chasing tranquility

Now that it's not so deathly hot in the evenings, I have started to sit outside for a while every day, purposely leaving my phone in the house. Which is why I have no photographic evidence of the two ridiculously adorable hummingbirds that have been flitting around the back yard the past few days.

Foxy grandpa and I were hanging out on the porch Sunday morning when they flew down right in front of our faces to say hi, then zipped over to feast on the bottle brush trees in the back corner of the yard. I immediately jumped up and made some sugar water for the feeder. I don't know how long they've been around, but I'm so glad I didn't miss hummingbird season this year.

I haven't been to yoga because my membership expired and I don't want to renew it until I'm done traveling so much.
In the meantime, I've found it's kind of meditative to sit in nature- even if it's not a porch in the Sierra Nevada mountains or the wooded path behind the hotel in North Carolina.

After traveling for 2 weeks, it feels SO GOOD to be back home. Even though coming home still doesn't feel like "coming home" because I'm not completely used to this house yet.

Still, I'm happy with my small patch of humid back yard paradise. Sometimes I sit there and zone out because I'm tired, but eventually my eyes will catch a spider building a web, or a flower petal floating down the stream, or a fish swimming, or the clouds moving in the sky. Or Pumpkin jumping the fence.

Poor Pumpkin was attention-deprived to the max when I was traveling, and hasn't left my side. Fortunately for both of us, I don't have a lot of customer visits scheduled this week and have been using the last couple of days to catch up in the office. She sat in my lap as I sat in there all day Monday and still didn't complete everything on my list. I'm hoping to wrap things up tomorrow so I'm free to go visit some customers Thursday or Friday.

P.S. Foxy grandpa has caught on very quickly that flowers make my heart sing and rarely comes over empty-handed. Damn, that man is good.

We are taking advantage of the long weekend to go see Luke in Vegas. I'm SO EXCITED ABOUT THAT! (Sorry Pumpkin)

No comments:

Post a Comment