19 April 2016

What's good with you?

I have a new coworker who has an interesting perspective on life. Sometimes, the right people get placed into your life at the right moment and the smallest thing can become significant.

Instead of asking, "How are you?" and getting a stale, "Fine, how are you?" response, she asks,
"What's good with you?"

If someone asks you that question, you have to think about it. What's good with me? It kind of forces you to dig for something positive, even if you're having a really shitty day.

I mean, it made me feel better when she asked me that. I thought for a second about all the suckage lately, then I felt odd not responding, so I focused on what is actually good with me.
I have a good job. I have a roof over my head. I have my health. I have a loving family. I have a lot to be thankful for.

Have you ever dropped a bit of dish soap into grease? And it kind of slowly breaks up the grease puddles bit by bit until it's cleared up? It kinda felt like that. Like it cleared up some of my worry so that I could focus on the good. A simple everyday question did that.

It's the perfect lowkey psychology hack. It doesn't dig much deeper than the standard, "how are you" and is intended to elicit a positive response. By casually forcing everyone around you to search for positive thoughts, you can easily affect your surroundings, which affects yourself. The positivity trickles and waves around, even if it's the smallest amount.

How about that, huh?

No comments:

Post a Comment