06 July 2011

you keep on shoutin

YOUU keep on shoutin

My 4th of July was kinda meh.

No bbqs with friends, fireworks, or patriotic-themed baked goods. I was really looking forward to baking something and making it all fabulously red, white, and blue.

I was on call from 2pm-12am, and I wound up being at work for all of the good parts of the day. As I was about to leave around 10, I got some more specimens. No biggie, I'd run them really quick and then be out of there.
Then I realized that there was a lipase ordered, which requires a special treatment- a complete halt and special wash of the instrument's reaction cups- and takes about an hour to run. Also, you can't run anything else but lipase at that point or you will get inaccurate results. So you have to wait until everything else is completely done, run the lipase, and only then can you start running other stuff. We usually batch them and run them when everything else is done. They're such a pain in the ass.

In the middle of the lipase ordeal at about 1130, I got a stat. At that point I was pretty tired, but what can you do? The thing about chemistry stats is they take at least 40 minutes before you can even run them. They have to clot for a minimum of 30 minutes and spin for 10 minutes. So I just kinda sat there, dozing, while I waited for the time to pass.

I managed to leave at about 1230. When I got home at 1-ish, Ash and a few people were hanging out on the back porch. I wanted so badly to have a glass of wine and hang out. But, I had to be up at 4am for work. Those < 3 hours of sleep were precious and I was already feeling a little loopy.

So I changed into my pjs and flopped into bed. Just as I was falling asleep, I heard:

Meow.

Fuck, no. Ignore her. Maybe it was a test meow to see if I'm awake.


Meoww.

Don't move. If you move, she'll know you're awake.

Meooowwwww?
Meow!
Meeeeoooowwww!

Shit.

So I got up and opened the door. She stood there... just out of reach if I wanted to shoo her out with my foot, and peered outside. At the last second, she decided not to go outside. Kinda like this at 1:20. Oh hell no. I grabbed her ass and threw her out.

Finally got some sleep, and snoozed the alarm until the darn thing shut off. I was lucky to wake up at all, and made it to work only 30 minutes late.

Work was a daze. I was on autopilot and coffee.

Came home yesterday, and crashed hard for a few hours. Woke up only because my dad needed my car keys to move my car. So I chilled a bit with the fam, then went back to bed.

Even today I'm sluggish. I actually felt more tired today, I guess because yesterday I was on a no-sleep coffee-fume high.

How on earth did I used to party all night, go to class, work for a few hours, study well into the evening, then do it all over again-- and be totally functional??

I hear thunder. I hope it's not a rain tease.

No comments:

Post a Comment