29 October 2016

thoughts on health and diet

The amount of diet/healthy/weight loss advice out there is massive. Advice comes at you from all directions. Pin one healthy article? Get 50 spammy suggestions about which surprising foods are preventing you from losing weight.

I haven't paid much attention to it until recently.
I started by tracking my meals on the My Fitness Pal app. While it was initially helpful, I soon got tired of counting calories. That's not my jam.

Then my friend suggested that I join one of her 21 Day Fix groups, but I could tell right away that I wouldn't follow it. Measuring food in containers? Drinking "shakes?" Nah. I'm about real food and real meals. Not counting and measuring.

Then Dayna told me about the Plate Method. Which I already tried to adapt without realizing it back when I vowed to start eating more vegetables. It seems like the simplest idea for those who aren't excited about getting nit-picky with food but still want some guidance.

Exercise is another story. Apparently there is bad exercise? What? There's this huge market for workout aids. This fit bit is a neat tool to measure steps and activity (hit your 10,000 daily steps or feel bad about yourself), but it's just another piece of the massive health puzzle.

What happened to everything in moderation? Do people not respond to that anymore? Has society evolved to the point where we NEED the numbers and goals and guilt in order to maintain decent health?

Apparently it doesn't work anyway because everyone is still fat and unhealthy.

I think it's time to take a step back from the madness and simply eat an apple if I'm hungry, and take the stairs more.

No comments:

Post a Comment