28 April 2018

perspectives, again.

I've been feeling off lately. After spending the day feeling super annoyed for no good reason, I went to yoga and found my breath and got a little more centered. This yoga instructor spoke of cells and atoms and my little scientific heart really dug it.

Made some dinner, ate it on the back porch because it's a nice night, and prepared for a quiet evening and early bedtime. Busy day tomorrow plus there are some showings, so I need to clean the house a little.

Around the time I cleaned up dinner, the doorbell rang. It was my neighbor. Not the neighbor I usually mention; the one on the other side of me. I figured she was paying a social call to find out about the For Sale sign in the yard.

Boy, was I wrong. Her husband died yesterday. The sweet large man who grows tomatoes and loves Jesus. He died a horrible painful death of kidney cancer, which was diagnosed 2 weeks ago.

She basically was like, "Hey I don't want to be alone and my son doesn't fly in until midnight so I think you should come over." 

So without hesitation, I went next door. We spent the whole night talking. 
They were married 50 years. He proposed on their 2nd date. They used to have a sailboat. They both just retired. Life changes in an instant.
 
Yes, she asked about the For Sale sign. When I told her about Chris, she immediately guessed why our relationship didn't work out. She understood completely and without explanation. It was literally like a breath of fresh air.

We both got tired and we both mentioned that it was getting late, but she didn't make any moves to get up so I sensed that she wasn't ready to be alone. I waited to leave until her son walked in the door. I shook his hand and offered condolences and apologized for being the strange woman in his parents' house at one o'clock in the morning.

When I walked into my house I discovered that in my immediate departure I left the back door open so there are a bunch of junebugs and moths everywhere.

But, you know, it's really okay. 

Roomba can handle that tomorrow while I drink my coffee and ponder why I keep getting startling reminders that life is short.

No comments:

Post a Comment