07 July 2018

creative pest control

One of the biggest immediate challenges with this new house was back yard pest control. The fish actually take care of the mosquitoes, and there are quite a few spiders that take care of the other miscellaneous annoying bugs.

However, there is the ever-present issue of giant roaches. I have seen a couple, and I'm determined to not let them ruin my enjoyment of the back porch. There is no way to eliminate them, but I'll keep fighting that battle.

I originally insisted that the entire back yard be nuked with poison, but there was a concern that it might hurt the fish. Well, crap.

So I baited as much as I could around the house, and kept pondering solutions for the rest of the yard.

Then last weekend I joined foxy grandpa at his friends' property for some "glamping." They have a pond on their property and at night a ton of frogs emerged. Big bullfrogs.

Frogs! They eat roaches! What a nature-friendly way to solve my problem!
There are plenty of small frogs around the back yard, and I think the big roaches are too much for them, but a larger frog could probably eat a lot of them.

We discussed catching a big frog right then and bringing it home, and I was really excited about my solution, but I wanted to do some research first. Mostly because those bullfrogs made a lot of noise and I could see it getting really annoying right outside my bedroom door.

I'm glad I did some research. Some frogs carry bacteria and parasites that might upset the current ecosystem, and the process would be slightly more complicated than catching a frog, bringing it home, and letting it loose in the backyard.

Then yesterday I happened to peek outside during a rain storm, and noticed this moderately-sized guy:


What do you know! I already have a frog! He was pretty active yesterday, jumping in the water and hopping around.

Hopefully he's got a big appetite.

1 comment: