05 July 2018

unpacking + cabinets

Finally getting to the point in unpacking where most of the things I use on a daily basis are available and out of boxes. Which does major things for calming my life.

I feel like it took forever, because right after I moved, work got super busy and I chose to escape for two weekends in a row in favor of more soul-soothing activities like the beach and fresh air.

Plus before I could unpack, I had to prep a few things.

The kitchen was a priority.

Although the countertops and backsplash in this kitchen are updated, the cabinets themselves are... different. The shelves are not actually wood. They're some sort of composite material that is porous and they have definitely seen some abuse.

I cleaned everything well, but many of the shelves were stained and actually tattered. Not something I want to put my dishes on.

Shelf paper went in the drawers and on the shelves, but the bottoms of the cabinets were too gnarly for that. Plus it's not easy to maneuver shelf paper in large pieces. I opted to try something I'd seen on pinterest. 

I went to home depot and bought a couple boxes of self-stick vinyl tiles. Yes, they're not ideal for actual floors, but it turns out they're really great for lining cabinets. I bought the cheapest ones, 59 cents a tile. About 17 bucks for a box.

These things are great. Literally just peel and stick, and they were easy to cut to fit.

Before: Grungy uck.


After: I would put my dishes on this.


Before: Giant mysterious stain.


After: Clean and nothing questionable.


After that was all finished, unpacking went fairly quickly. I feel happier knowing there is a sturdy barrier between those funky cabinet shelves and my pots & pans.

No comments:

Post a Comment