24 April 2011

dynamic

I realized yesterday that I have no friends.

Wait, wait, let me rephrase that. I have awesome friends. My group of friends has changed. Or, rather, the dynamic has changed.

I hadn't noticed it while I was busy in school studying all the time, but now that I have more free time, I've started to notice it.

Most weekends I'm perfectly content to laze around, do some shopping with mom, maybe hang out with friends Saturday night or something.

But yesterday I felt good; I wanted to do something. It was a gorgeous day. However, it seemed there was no one to hang out with. Everyone was busy, working, out of town, or something. Even mom didn't want to do anything. I realize Easter weekend played a factor, but there's definitely been a trend.

It seems lately that most of the friends I used to hang out with are preoccupied with other things- Either they're busy with their spouse or significant other, or they've got kids to spend time with. Where did my single friends who like to hang out go? It seems they all got commitments while I was in school and I didn't notice until I got more free time.

The pool of that category of people is slowly dwindling. It seems the days of random hanging-out-age are dying. (Akhtar, you are the one exception to this, haha)

And this is not a post to bitch. I'm not angry at any of you, or blaming anyone, trying to replace anyone, or trying to say that I don't like your kids or your spouse. Not the issue.

It's just something that happens, and it's just happening to a lot of my friends. People grow up and have different priorities, which makes spontaneous hanging out a lot less doable.

So, the next logical step is to make some new friends that have a little more flexible schedule. But dude, when you get older and you're not in school, it's really hard to make new friends! I could re-kindle some friendships that have turned into acquaintances, but with the exception of a few people, that happened for a reason. You know?

I need a hobby, one that is time-consuming enough that I won't be bored, one where I can meet people my own age, but one that doesn't require a commitment.

I've looked into volunteering, and it seems promising. Also there's that meetup website that I might look at. Jen, what was that one that you had put the Jogtography on?

All I know is I don't want to sit around bored!

2 comments:

  1. LOL I like how you asked me a question on your blog knowing I'd read it. =) And lordddddddddddddd, amen to your post. Growing up kind of sucks since it means changes...just like you said - the dynamics of hanging out. I feel like most people are too busy with whatever to just hang out. I don't like sitting around doing nothing but entertaining and taking care of Logan. Sure it keeps me busy, but I miss my friends!! Adult conversation!! Making new friends is challenging too. I have some ranting about that for when we get together.

    Uh...but yes, meetup.com I should've just picked you up for my crazy Easter Egg Hunting adventures (that's right, plural) on Saturday. That's another story to share there.

    ReplyDelete