01 May 2018

a couple things

Today was a rollercoaster, emotional-wise.

I attended my neighbor's funeral and it was very lovely. The end, though, got me. He was a veteran and they gave his widow the flag draped across his casket. Complete with taps. It was beautiful and I don't know, maybe military funerals still hit too close to home. Maybe they always will.

Then, thankfully, Dayna texted me asking me to lunch and she's done that before but I've always been busy. It was perfect timing. I had lunch with her and her sweet youngest kiddo who always smiles back. I needed that.

Then the afternoon was a whirlwind of work and I was kicked out of the house for a showing. I could have gone to a coffeehouse or something, but I decided to get a pedicure while answering emails. While I was getting my feet rubbed, I got a call from Helen that I did NOT expect. Lots of stressful phone calls later, we are thisclose to accepting a really great offer on the house. Cross your fingers y'all.

I was still feeling crazy from the up-and-down emotionals of the day, so when I peeked out the kitchen window and saw my neighbor outside watering her flowers, I went over. Chatted with her for a while and I didn't expect it to calm me down as much as it did.

Chris and I are getting along really well. Like, better than we have in years.
I think we're both on our best behavior? Or maybe all of the background expectations and emotions between us are gone, so now it's just us behaving like adults and discussing logistics and actually respecting each other? I don't know.

There's still a bit of sadness there but at least now when I talk to him it doesn't devastate me. Maybe we can be one of those divorced couples that doesn't harbor complete hatred for one another. Not that I'm that type of person anyway, and not that I expect to talk to him at ALL once our divorce is final and the house is sold, but it's a new dynamic and it's so weird that it's NOT weird.

It makes me feel like we've made the right decision, though. Like it confirms that as a couple we really didn't work but as individual people we're ok.

You guys, it's only Tuesday.

No comments:

Post a Comment