13 February 2011

crafts!

Been thinking a lot about love lately. And life, and the future, and all that. Been doing a lot to prepare for Ash's wedding and all the related festivities, so I guess that's where it's coming from.

This weekend involved a lot of crafting. And fighting headaches.

First.

I made cake stands from a set of candlesticks and three matching plates, epoxied together. I got some more use out of my heavy textbooks...

Finished:


They seem pretty sturdy. I just hope they hold until after the wedding. Then they can fall apart all they want.

Then tissue flower balls for the wedding shower that I think are so pretty hanging from the ceiling or trees. I used this tutorial. They turn out pretty but are time-consuming. I started making bigger ones and instead of gluing them to balls, I just bunched them together like a bouquet and wired them so they'd stay. That's what I did with the blue one.



Then I made the garter... so simple.

I used one of the zebra ties for the fabric. Gotta say that was genius.

I made mine 28 or so inches long. 

Just make a tube and turn it right-side-out. (didn't take pictures of that. Here's a tutorial.)

Then take your chosen ribbon and pin it to the back of the tube, where the seam is. Sew it as close to the edge of the tube as you can. You don't want a seam running down the middle.


Then repeat on the other side with the other ribbon.






When it's sewn, insert elastic with a safety pin through the tube, and bunch it up to your liking. Sew the elastic together and hand-sew the two ends of the fabric together.

Affix a bow and you're done.



This is the first time I've made one and I kinda winged it.
I think the white ribbon is too big and was going to re-do it, but Ash says she likes it. All I need to do is put a rhinestone in the middle of the bow.

Crafting is fun and all, but man it sure makes a mess. There's crap everywhere.

I can't believe the weekend is almost over. Boo.

No comments:

Post a Comment