31 October 2011

on birth control

Talking about birth control and other potentially uncomfortable things! YAY!

Today was violation day.

Took 2 fricken hours, and once travel time was included, it added up to 3 hours that I had to take off work. But it's ok. Because I got some anti-baby-making stuff. And, you know, got a pap smear and a surprisingly pleasant breast exam. Seriously, for a guy, he was totally non-man-handle-y.

Let's add "enjoying the breast exam at the gyno" to the list of reasons why Chris should come home now. (lol)

So birth control.

I decided I want to try the IUD, since I really dislike taking the pill- and its side effects. Set it and forget it is my kinda game. The long-term cost is cheaper, too. After reviewing all of the various birth control methods out there, I want to give it a shot.

The doctor started out by saying that there are two types of doctors: Ones that will give an IUD to a woman who hasn't had children, and those who will not- because of the unlikely scenario that it can affect fertility.

I asked him which one he was.

He said that if I desperately wanted children, he wouldn't do it. If I was iffy or didn't want children, he had no problem with it.
Sweeet. I'm all for sticking that thing up there and moving right along.

So then we discussed options. Hormones vs copper. He insisted that the hormones coating the IUD won't be nearly as side-effecty-y as the pill. So I agreed on that one. Plus, you stop having your period. Um, hell yes.

But... there's a whole rigmarole (I totally had to look that word up to spell it correctly) of things surrounding the actual "getting it and getting it inserted" procedure. So it will take several weeks, some insurance company crap, plus an extra month after it's inserted before it's considered effective birth control. Which kinda passes right by my window of sexual activity when Chris will be home. Herm.

While in my gown waiting for the doctor to come back in and get it over with, I spotted something on the counter that looked a lot like this:






Holy crap is that actual size? Is my uterus really that small? Is the IUD really that big? It takes up the whole thing?? I thought it was this tiny thing that just like sat at the entrance and... I dunno, magically prevented pregnancy. Mind boggled for a second.

Before I left he also gave me some pills to take as a backup method. Ugh. Not too thrilled about that, but if it keeps me from getting knocked up then I suppose they're ok.

I wish there were some switch on our bodies that we could flip when we're ready to procreate- and until then you can have sex and all you have to worry about is STDs.

I mean, hormone pills, foreign materials in the uterus, implants, rings, barriers, creams... sheesh. It's a little Brave New World when you think about it. I just need my contraceptive belt and I'm good to go!

I'm also torn between waiting to get the IUD until I'm actually having sex on a regular basis. It seems a little pointless to get it and not really need it for another few years.

However, the thing that keeps taking me back to the "get it" side is the peace of mind that I get from the effectiveness-- versus something temporary and less effective like condoms. It's very reassuring, even if it's used infrequently. It only takes one busted condom or a couple missed pills to make a baby.
I'd rather have my uterus be a practically impenetrable fortress of IUD than have a Surprise! The condom broke! or a Ha! You didn't take your pills at exactly the right time! pregnancy.

Anyway, we'll see how this all pans out.

2 comments:

  1. I'm a big fan of orthoevra, aka the patch. Put a sticker on my butt. Switch cheeks once a week. EASY. I had Sunday be my patch change day, as that was an easy day for me to remember, and I set up some e-mail reminders just in case.
    So as for easy and effective? Win. Hormones and side affects? Not so much. The most notable side effect I had was sun rash - though once I figured out what it was it was easy to deal with (lots of sunscreen - something I should be doing anyway).
    I actually got off the patch several months back though. I still am avoiding pregnancy, but it wouldn't be the absolute worst thing, so I figured it was worth the risk to be able to not have to pay for prescriptions and deal with the extra hormones and side effects. I decided to try the Fertility Awareness Method for my birth control (I use the book "Taking Charge of Your Fertility"). So far it's been great (and really interesting, I've learned a ton about what's going on w/ my body). But if I really really really wanted to avoid getting pregnant - I think I'd want something more prescription-y.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for echoing my frustrations with side effects and hormones and money...!

    I never knew anyone who was on the patch. It's kinda crazy that it gave you a sun rash.

    Also, very cool that you're using that FA method. I've heard about it from a few of my friends (hi D!) and really wish I felt comfortable enough to use it.
    But, like you said, the no-pregnant thing is very high priority so prescription-y is pretty much the only way to go.

    It'd be nice to have a super-effective natural form of birth control-- besides abstinence, haha.

    ReplyDelete