06 October 2014

Scopey McScoperson

It has only been a few hours since I came out of anesthesia, and already I'm blogging about it. It's boring "resting."

We got up early and drove to the surgical center, then filled out forms & gave them money. Shortly afterwards, I was taken to preop and changed into a gown and nubbly socks. I'm glad I was wearing full-coverage undies because there was a definite breeze in the back of the gown.

I was outfitted with sticky things on my back, a blood pressure cuff, and an IV. I was freezing so I got an extra blanket, and they even had this super cool bed warmer thing. It was kind of like a giant vacuum cleaner hose that had warm air coming out of it. You just stick it under the blankets and everything gets nice & warm.

Then a bunch of people came by; anesthesia, nurses, etc. Everyone who would be involved in the procedure. They talked about what would happen.

Then we waited for a while. Chris tried out the oximeter that goes on the finger, trying to get his heart rate up. Then we waited some more. I got up to pee.

Then they came to wheel me into the procedure room and I started getting super nervous. Just seeing the room freaked me out. I'm used to being on the OTHER side of things. Not laying on the table.

So they told me to lay on my side and then they sprayed this stuff in my throat to numb it. Actually, twice. The numb throat feeling totally freaked me out. I felt like I was going to suffocate or something. Then this oxygen tube went in my nose, and they put this thing in my mouth- it reminded me of a ball gag with a hole in the middle. But less- bally. At that point I was seriously uncomfortable and very un-calm, and the doctor came in and asked if I had any questions and I was just like, "ARH," meaning put me under already because this sucks. Fortunately a few seconds later I started to feel the anesthesia kick in.

Next thing I know, I'm waking up in pacu. I freaking love anesthesia. I didn't wake up in the middle of it this time, either. Nothing but a good nap. As I came to, the nurse gave me ice chips and chatted with Chris about the procedure. I don't remember a lot. While Chris went downstairs to pull the car around, the nurse helped me put my clothes back on and go to the bathroom. Really sweet people at that place.

Obviously, I didn't get much information but the doctor came out to talk to Chris about how it went. Some acid problems in the lower esophagus, the villi looked pretty good (celiac stuff), and he took 8 biopsies. The large number of biopsies makes me nervous, but like I said I didn't get to ask questions because I was pretty loopy. The pathology results will come back in 7-10 days. Long.Ass.Time.

I had a surprising amount of gas afterwards, I think because they put air in the stomach to see around better. Also some stomach discomfort but that's nothing new and it was probably because I hadn't eaten anything. And just had a camera down my throat and small intestine. And there are 8 tiny wounds in there. But yeah.

I ate a little bit and I'm tired, but other that, nothing dramatic. I have to take it easy today (and apparently can't shower or do any online banking), but tomorrow it should be business as usual. With that, the couch is calling my name.

P.S. I haven't told my mom about this because I don't want her to worry for no reason, and it's so damn hard not saying anything.

No comments: