24 March 2018

Updates and feels

A few updates:

1. My data got recovered, YAY!!

2. Divorce news: I met with the lawyer on Friday. It was pretty much what we had discussed during the last meeting, but this time I met with the legal assistant and I paid them $2500.

The papers will be filed with the court on Monday. The lawyer will communicate with Chris directly and will tell him exactly what they need. Basically he will need to sign a few papers.

Then 60 days from Tuesday, I will go to court with my lawyer and finalize the thing. So by June I should be legally single. That seems so far away and so fast at the same time.

I don't know how I expected to feel, but to be honest I felt... happy. Free. Like this is a long time coming and it's for the best. I went home, suddenly felt exhausted, and took a hard nap. Woke up and started packing up some of the clutter that's necessary to pack when trying to sell a house.

~

Then today I helped my neighbor water her flowers (she just had surgery), and I told her about everything. They really liked Chris and would ask about him all the time after he left. We both cried. Sigh. The emotionals are still wonky.

My realtor was also disappointed. She doesn't want me to have to move, especially because this house is SO GREAT and we got a great deal on it. Selling it now is kind of a financial bummer, but what can you do?

ALSO. BIG THING THAT I HADN'T CONSIDERED: I have to wait until the divorce is final until I sign a contract on a new house, or else he will legally own half because we'll still be married.

That's a good thing because I don't have to rush to list this house, but also the timing has to be perfect because if it sells before the divorce is final I'm essentially homeless. Joy.

Also want to note that the responses and advice I've gotten when I tell people about the divorce range from condolences, to wanting to set me up with their brother (really), to asking me out on a date, to suggesting I get a sancho to 'help me through this'.

I've gotten a ton of stories from a ton of women that I know telling me about their own divorces and some of them are pretty juicy!

I feel like I'm being inducted into a club that I never wanted to be a part of.
But this is my life now so here goes.

P.S. Cute customer mentioned taking me to dinner on Thursday.

No comments:

Post a Comment