15 February 2009

suckage

I am so glad Valentines day has passed.

I've never been a huge fan of the day. Sure, it was fun when you were a kid and got to take time away from class to decorate your paper bag "mailbox" and everyone got valentine cards. Then in middle and high school it was neat to get carnations delivered to you in class, mostly from friends but always hoping for that one from your secret admirer.

But, since then, it's either been a glaring reminder that I'm single or a night of smothering, forced romance and dinner at a crowded restaurant. That, and I have to stress to find a non-lame, token gift for whoever I'm dating. Last year Chris and I decided to ignore the holiday. Then we bought half-off candy the next day. It worked.

This year, the day kinda sucked, Valentine's or not. Chris and I didn't really make plans, but decided that afternoon that Eduardo's sounded delicious for dinner.
I worked all day, and my bosses were GREAT. Lee brought me and Jackie a box of chocolates each, and they got me some heart candles and a really cute bracelet/ earring set. They also gave me my solitary Valentine's Day card this year. They're awesome.

Then that evening, Chris ended up having to cancel because of work. I spent the night disappointed, sowing through my box of chocolates, buzzing on wine, and watching romantic comedies on tv. By the way, The Breakup sucks. It's annoying.
My parents cooked rib eyes and drank on the back porch. As my sister and I were watching tv, I overheard my dad telling my mom, "Those two girls are so beautiful, it's a shame to see them sitting here home alone on Valentine's Day."
Lovely.

Like I said, I'm glad it's over.

6 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Breakup is SO lame. All the previews made it look so funny and I had just broken up when it came out so I was stoked for it. Only, it's not actually funny. It's just two people being really big jerks to each other the whole time. It was on TV yesterday and I tried to watch it again, but couldn't make it through the first 20 minutes!
    Sorry your V-day sucked. It is highly overrated... except for the candy and the cute stuffed critters.

    ReplyDelete
  3. *internet hug* hope you feel better!

    Agreed! Valentine's Day is a lot more fun when you are a kid, and you get to spend the day gorging yourself on candy. It's like Halloween, except you don't have to do all the work of putting on a costume and going trick-or-treating :-P.

    I'm totally in it for the candy. I've been eating conversation hearts for the past 3 days!

    ReplyDelete
  4. We never got carnations in high school...instead we would hand out "Crush" soda to those we admired...haha

    Just remember this...no matter what happens...I Heart You...and I'm sure many more do too...

    Now where is my box o chocolate!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Valentines is overrated. It's way nicer when you're a kid - I agree. Except I started disliking it in middle school. I never got any carnations! It made me sad that everyone else did. I did get some pity carnations from the popular people who had a billion and were giving them to everyone who didn't...

    Richard and I didn't do anything. We went to our house inspection. My mom cooked us some chicken pho for lunch. We ate some leftovers from the fridge for dinner. I had a small mental breakdown due to all the excitement/changes from this past month. Richard went to sleep WAY earlier than I did that night as well, on the couch. I slept in my bed.

    Only good thing to Valentines as an adult is to get discounted Valentines candy!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I never got any carnations either!! haha!

    ReplyDelete