31 August 2015

NuvaRing Update

It's been about a year (ish) since I've been on the NuvaRing. Here are my observations.

I like it. Mostly.

The biggest issue I have is that I sometimes forget about it and I can't remember when it's time to remove it/put in a new one. Which usually results in a panic that sends me to my calendar to remember when I last put it in. NOT ideal. I initially set up a reminder on my phone-- incorrectly-- and I missed my reminder by a week one time. That was panicky and I took a few pregnancy tests because I didn't get my period. But then I got my period. Whew. Birth control schedule is nothing to mess around with. I do not like the potential for forgetfulness.

To help with that, I set up a new reminder on my phone, and I also signed up for auto-refills at the pharmacy. This way at least I get a text message to remind me my prescription has been refilled and it's kind of a backup reminder if I messed up my phone reminder again. Not ideal, but it's better.

My initial concerns, addressed:

I was initially annoyed when my doctor didn't give me enough refills so that I could use them to skip my period. After the uncertainty regarding the schedule, it turns out I really like having my period as reassurance. It's usually very light and only lasts from Friday night to Sunday night. Don't have to worry about taking tampons to work. For now.

He also did not give me the extra samples he promised. In hindsight this is a good thing because they require refrigeration and are stable at room temperature for 3 months. The scientist in me noticed that. I can see it now. Hey, dad. Go grab a beer. Never mind the birth control stored in the fridge. Besides, with Obamacare, it's free so the samples really aren't necessary. And, as I mentioned before, the auto-refill text message from the pharmacy is nice as a backup reminder.

It's never accidentally fallen out, even though I still sometimes get paranoid that I will somehow push it out when I poop. Hasn't happened. For the record.

I've gotten used to the insertion and removal. It's still awkward and uncomfortable, but it's not so bad now. I like that Chris can't feel it. I like that I don't have to take a pill every day, plus the side effects are minimal, except libido and sensation are diminished, as with all hormonal methods I've tried. Merp. But, what can you do? It's the price you pay for no babies.

I figure after I hit 35 my chances for a blood clot/stroke will rise and since my aunt just had a stroke from that exact reason, I will need to look for a hormone-free option. I will probably be really, really sure I don't want kids at that point and the doctor will feel comfortable with tying my tubes or using that Essure method, or some other non-hormonal form of birth control. We'll see what happens with that.

So there you have it. I will probably stick with this method for now not because it's perfect, but because it's the least of all the evils!

No comments:

Post a Comment