31 March 2008

large spider(s)

The scenario:

Jen is in the kitchen, returning to her desk from locking the door. She sees the large spider from a few entries ago sitting in the corner.

"Hello large spider."

She turns around,

"Oh shit! Another one!"

Two very large spiders sitting in my kitchen.

It's so weird, a couple summers ago there was a rather large spider that lived in my kitchen. I saw him a couple times late at night. It can't be the same one, so is there some sort of large spider breed that happens to live in my kitchen? Or is there something mutating them? lol. It's certainly an odd coincidence.

As long as they don't eat me, and as long as Pumpkin doesn't find one and decide it's snack time, they get to live.






















*Update*
I kept peeking over at the spiders to see what they were doing, and noticed some movement so I went and investigated. The one big spider was still there in the same spot, and the other one had moved to a spiderweb and was messing with something stuck in it.

We're having a nature moment here. I whipped out my camera and started taping it in case it did something cool, but in the midst of videotaping I realized that the spider in the web was NOT the missing large spider, but in fact an entirely different spider, a smaller wimpier one. I kind of freaked for a second because I didn't know where the other large spider went and I didn't want it ON me.

[Ignore the messy floor and the profanity. You can see one of the original spiders in the top right corner.]



THEN the even more bizarre part was that one of the big spiders crawled and got caught in the wimpier spider's web, and at this point the sheister batteries in my camera died so I tore into my parents' office in a frenzy to where the batteries were kept, and managed to film some of the two spiders in the web. It was kinda nuts, the wimpier spider attacked the large spider! It kept stinging the big one... or something. I couldn't tell. Now the big spider is all curled up like it's dead and hoisted up into the web, and the little spider I think is wrapping it up. Spider cannibalism, nuts!

[I couldn't get the camera to focus very well... ]


While I was on the floor I noticed a "big spider" carcass under the baker's rack, so this little guy's been busy. I also noticed another "wimpy-type spider" in the corner. I dunno where the other big spider went, but I'm sure it's going to stay hidden for a while.

I normally don't mind the spiders because they eat other bugs but I think it's time for my dad to spray... because I'm witnessing spider gladiators instead of studying.

In the end I had to kill the other big spider via the patented "windex on stream" method because it came out of hiding and was crawling around the kitchen, and I couldn't study because I kept checking to make sure it wasn't headed toward me. I felt bad but it had to be done.

How's that for procrastination?

2 comments:

  1. and you thought i was the anti-study when all along it was these "friend spiders" of yours.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are CRAZY! Just kill them all!!
    When I was little my sister once told me whenever you find one spider you'll always find another. I think she said it mostly to be mean, but I've almost always found it to be true. Meaning I'm a wreck until I find that second SOB.
    Oh, and you know how you'll find a dead spider in the corner or something... well most of the time that isn't a dead spider. It's the molt of a spider, meaning there's a one bigger that the shriveled exoskeleton on the floor. How is that not terrifying?!?!

    ReplyDelete