15 June 2009

food

So my pea plants have grown plenty of vines, but no peas yet. Same thing goes for the peppers I planted. The pepper plants never got very big- it doesn't look like they're even strong enough to hold fruit. Darn, I got so excited when something actually grew but now I don't know if anything will actually GROW.

My mom started a small garden a couple weeks ago and she's already got bell peppers growing. Go figure.

My mom only needs me to work in the afternoons this week, so I've got some free time in the mornings. I'm going to pilates today at noon. I heard about a store called Ranch Creek Natural Foods that might have some new gluten free foods. I want to go check that out this week.

You know, I got to thinking this weekend after I was talking to Julie at Seren's party. She has started eating healthier, natural foods because she was feeling sick all the time, and she was telling me how amazing she started feeling. I mean, it's common sense, but people never seem to pay attention to how their food is making them feel.

Since I've started reading labels out of necessity a year and a half ago, I've noticed exactly what kind of crap is put into food. It's amazing the things people eat without ever realizing it. And, it's amazing the impact food has on our health. If you think about it, the majority of health problems can be fixed or prevented by simply eating right and exercising.

If it's that simple, why don't we just do it? Because people are gluttons. Even as I stand here on my blogger soapbox, I know the shit I'm eating but I eat it anyway because it's convenient and it's there and it tastes good.

Anyway, as my disgust with the whole food industry wore off, I thought about how I take 2 prilosec every morning to avoid that constant upset stomach, nausea and heartburn my doctor refers to as dyspepsia. Dyspepsia is just a blanket term for indigestion, and they don't know why it bothers me so much. I would really like to stop taking these pills, because I've taken them for about 5 years now. The long-term effects are not good and I'd like to save the $35 a month.

When I first started taking the pills, it was like angels from heaven started singing. It was amazing how well they worked, and they literally gave me my life back. That's why I'm slightly hesitant to stop taking them.

But, I figure the best I can do is really start eating right and keep exercising. Maybe the combination will enable me to stop taking them, or at least take a lower dose.

Anyway, I always talk about how I need to start eating better and get my ass off the couch. Now that I have a more specific goal in mind, I might actually have the motivation to do it. I know I can't be perfect, but I really am curious to see if eating healthy and exercising will "cure" the dyspepsia. Stay tuned...

1 comment:

  1. Funny you write about this today, because I happen to have done a little online research about diet and digestive issues this morning. You know I've been getting into healthy whole foods lately and I really believe a change in diet can only help any and all heath issues.
    Both my mom and grandfather (on my dad's side) have dealt with Chrohn's disease, so it is always in the back of my mind when I get assorted tummy aches and general feel like crapness. Anyway, I learned this morning that there is a pretty high correlation between people who have Chrohn's also having Celiac disease. Have you ever been looked at for Chrohn's or Ulerative Colitis? My mom actually ended up having her entire large intestine taken out, which "cured" her.
    I was also reading about folks who have gone at least mostly raw food vegan and swear that that has cured them of various digestion issues and replaced their various meds. It's worth doing some googling on.

    ReplyDelete