25 August 2009

expectations

I want this. But I would use it for all the bobby pins everywhere because I already have a place for my paper clips. (found at Shelterrific)

These past few days have been amazingly organized chaos. It feels like it should be Friday already. This week has been exhausting. You wouldn't think sitting in an auditorium and listening to speakers would tire you out, but it does. There's so much stuff to remember, and so much stuff being thrown at you, and it's at least 8 hours, minus mini breaks and lunch. I swear by the end of today my butt was asleep.

For the most part, it's interesting stuff. We've gone over the patient confidentiality stuff and now we're taking a course on ethics. I was expecting to be bored to tears, but I was really captivated. One exercise we had to do was think about our personal code of ethics. Normally, you don't really think about it, you just know, and you just do it. You don't ever have to put it into words. We had to explain ours to someone else, and it was really introspective and thought-provoking.

Another thing we touched on was decision-making. It focused on the rights of the patient and the principles of informed consent, do no harm, and all that, but one phrase stuck with me: What is more important to me? When I normally make every day decisions, I don't think about them much. I kinda just go with my gut. I like this new idea of stopping and thinking about what is really more important to me when making certain decisions. I think it will make me a better person, and I find it very motivational. If I'm dragging ass about doing something, I just remember that it's really important to me and then it's not so bad.

Even thought it's been tiring, I'm still excited. I love the little things. I feel so freaking cool pulling up to the parking garage, sticking my official badge on the little pad, and the arm goes right up. I felt so accomplished when I managed to navigate my way to the school of health professions this morning, when it's in a strange little corner of the building at the end of a maze of hallways. I'm getting my bearings way sooner than I thought I would.

I have met so many nice people. My classmates are all friendly, every speaker we've heard has congratulated us and welcomed us, and every single faculty/staff member I've met has emphasized the fact that they're here to help us, with whatever it may be. And if you actually ask for help, you don't feel like you're annoying them. I've even gotten warm, friendly reception from the information desk people when I've stopped to ask for directions. Every time, not just once or twice. It seems like these are not just people serving a sentence; they are really happy with what they're doing. It's a very caring, helpful environment and I'm sure it's all to make the patients feel a little better.

One particularly humbling aspect of being at the hospital is all the sick people around you. Any time I walk by a waiting room, wander the halls, eat at the cafeteria, I'm surrounded by cancer patients. Some are in wheelchairs, some are bald, some are wearing colorful scarves on their heads, some look like they feel terrible, some are chatty, some are wearing masks over their faces, and some are only children. The cutest old man started talking to me in the elevator the other day, asking about school and if I'm learning anything yet. You really have to admire these people's courage. If I think I'm having a bad day, I just have to think about the hospital full of people who are having a much worse day and would love to have my "bad day." It really puts things into perspective.

That was a deeper post than I thought I'd write, but overall I am very glad to be part of such an amazing institution. It is so much more than I thought it'd be.

No comments:

Post a Comment