14 August 2009

running, gardening

I have become aware that when I run, I do not run alone. I have two angels sitting on each shoulder. On one shoulder, I have a fit, athletic angel. On the other, a lazy, slothful angel. As I'm running and I start to get tired, they start arguing. My internal struggle goes something like this:

"Whew, I'm starting to get tired."
"No! Keep going!"
"But I'm tired- listen to my heavy breathing!"
"In the nose, out the mouth. You can do it."
"But it's hot and I'm sweating. Can't I just walk?"
"How are you going to get any better if you stop the second you start to get tired?"
"Huff, puff, gasp, etc"
"Okay, you can make it to the end of the bridge/ to the park/ that crack in the sidewalk up ahead."

That's how I've managed to walk/run a mile most days this week. I'm running about 60% of the mile, so that's not bad. Much better than when I first started and a quarter mile nearly killed me.

It doesn't hurt that Chris has been trying to get in shape before he leaves for the Marines in January. I decided to work out with him some days, and he doesn't put up with my excuses when I try to be lazy- exactly what I need for motivation.
He's also been good for my eating habits. When I'm about to grab something that he knows will make my stomach hurt, he gives me a look or asks if I really want it. He will also remind me to slow down when I don't realize I'm wolfing down my food. I guess it takes someone else to remind me when my terrible eating habits become so routine that I don't even think about it. And, of course, when I don't eat that pint of ice cream or that bag of chips, my stomach isn't upset. When school starts and food is not constantly available, this will be much easier.

Speaking of school, I am rapidly becoming broke again, and have no idea what's going on with financial aid. I also have to get some lab math quizzes done before school starts, and of course I'm putting it off. I plan on doing it next week when I'll be there anyway and feel more motivated. This is my last weekend of summer and I plan on doing nothing. :o)

One more thing to note: Most of my garden has failed. The pea plants hung in there, until a couple weeks ago they all just shriveled up and died, despite extra dirt and plenty of water. I guess it's just too hot for peas. The zucchini also died, but I can try planting those again soon for a fall harvest. The peppers are hanging in there. They've gotten bigger but don't show signs of either flowering or fruit. I blame the dying plants on these super hot days and the drought.



Thank you, natalie dee, for this perfect visual of my gardening.

No comments:

Post a Comment