27 November 2010

Story Time

When I was a little kid, in about second grade, I had a loose tooth. One day at the lunch table, my friends and I started discussing whether or not the tooth fairy existed. I can't remember which side of the debate I was on, but I do know that I was old enough to start doubting the fairy that comes into my room in the middle of the night.

So I devised a plan.

I was going to lose the tooth and put it under my pillow without telling my parents. If the tooth fairy was real, I'd know the next morning.

Eventually the tooth fell out, and I nervously avoided my parents for the evening. I didn't want them to notice that it was gone. That night, I put it under my pillow and fell asleep. The plan was in action.

The next morning, I was so nervous to check under the pillow. Did I really want to know? Was I ready to handle the truth? I nearly shit my pants when there was a dollar bill where my tooth had been. I was shocked.

I went to school the next day and excitedly told my friends the story- the tooth fairy must be REAL! I still was a little confused and doubtful, because again I was at that age when I understood that the tooth fairy story just didn't add up. Not like Santa Clause. But, the facts were right there in the form of that dollar bill and there was no other way it could have gotten there.

Years later, my mom and I were talking and somehow this story came up.

I told her what I did and she started laughing hysterically.

She told me that the night I lost the tooth, I left a tiny spot of blood on the bathroom sink and she saw it. For some reason (mom intuition?) she knew I had lost the tooth and hadn't told her. So that's how the dollar got there.

My mom uses this story as an example of how sneaky I was, and still am.

No comments:

Post a Comment