21 January 2013

house hunt

So you know that house that I looked at a few weeks back and immediately deemed it "The One?"

Well we looked at it again today, with the actual realtor. And you know what? I was underwhelmed- to the point where I was willing to spend a little more money on rent if that meant I could get a little more.

We thought maybe it's because the old funky carpet hasn't been replaced yet, or because it hadn't been cleaned. But the more I think about it, the more I'm meh about it. The backyard is nice, but is fenced with chain-link, so all your neighbors (and their barking dogs) can see in.
In the daylight you can see the street is full of Beware of Dog signs on all the fences; not exactly classy digs.  I found myself feeling that maybe the atmosphere wasn't as safe-feeling as I'd originally thought. Living by myself, that's very important to me. Also I can see Chris coming home and wondering what kind of ghetto I moved us into.
I was sewing today with my door open because it's nice outside, and I was thinking what I'd be doing if I was in that house. To be honest, I don't know if I'd be comfortable leaving the doors open on a nice day. Then I asked my dad, who does pest control in houses all over the city, and is the expert on what areas are not-so-nice. He admitted that he wasn't thrilled with it. I'm taking his advice with a grain of salt because he thinks we should all live in huge mansions with electric fences around them.

Honestly, there are things I like, and things I don't like. I haven't completely written it off, but I'm going to keep looking. Which means, OY.

I have to admit I'm nervous because there's not much in our price range in the areas I want, and some I've been looking at online have already been leased. Leave some for meee!

1 comment:

  1. I don't know if this is true of all housing markets, but I know that when we were looking we were told that there is less on the market this time of year. I'm sure for all the places being snatched up there will be plenty of others just coming available!

    ReplyDelete