06 January 2013

Impulsey

So, a little bit about me.

I don't fuck around. If I want something to happen, I make it happen. I don't wishy wash or dilly daddle.
The same goes for if I don't want to do something; I won't ever do it.

Thinking back, I have several historical examples:

When I decided I needed a new car and went car shopping. I saw one that I liked and I brought it home that day.
When I went to try on wedding dresses. I liked one, I bought it. (Well, momma did.)
When I decided it was finally time to switch jobs, even though I stressed hard about it, I made it happen.

I don't do endless amounts of comparing and research. I see something that I like and I go with my gut and it's done.

Which brings me to the point of this post.

Last night Ash and I started looking at houses to rent online. I saw one I liked and called the realtor, who told me a little about it. He said they are doing some repairs on the house and if I wanted, I could stop by and ask the contractor if I could look around. So Ashley and I drove by the house (it was close by) just to drive by it. It turned out, people were there so we quickly took a peek.

I like the house. The location is absolutely perfect. The price is just barely out of my price range. The house is big enough, but also small enough. The kitchen is tiny but with updated appliances. The bathrooms are typical for a house built in the 1970's- not awesome but at least there is a tub so I can take much-missed baths. The backyard has a "Man Shed" for Chris to put his manly stuff. It seems like a good fit. Not perfect, but it doesn't have to be; it's a rental.

Naturally, in typical "ME" fashion, I want to dive right in and go for it. Then I called Chris.

Chris apparently does not share my "go with my gut" reasoning. He requested that I look around and do comparisons. He also reminded me that I don't need to make my move until around March. Totally not my style to stop and re-think, but he also brought me down a little. He's right- there's no sense in moving out early just because I saw a place I liked. Even though there's that voice in the back of my head saying, "Don't wait around for something better because you might not find it." I do think it would be smart to wait, and at the very least, save up for another month.

What do YOU think?

4 comments:

  1. I'm like you. I would go for it. It is only a rental. BUT if you want to we can look around the neighborhood some more.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm like Chris. What if that perfect place IS out there? Or what if there is another place that is equal good but cheaper? This means that I spend a lot of energy stressing out and looking and am rarely totally satisfied with my choice. The book "The Paradox of Choice" is one of my favorites and all about this. I say you compromise; look at 3 more places and then just pick.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would wait to save more money. it doesn't hurt to have more saved up! the renting process can take awhile anyway so wait and look around.

    ReplyDelete
  4. usually im with you! i'm as impulsive as it gets...but in this one instance im with chris.

    ReplyDelete