13 February 2010

heart my heart

I really wanted cinnamon rolls this morning.

Two things stopped me.
1. the dishes and the work to make them
2. if I'm going to yoga, I might as well start the day out healthy.

I made oatmeal and put cinnamon & sugar in it to get that "cinnamon roll" taste.

Too bad the oatmeal cooked way too much and now it's too soft like oatmeal soup. Gag.

While lying in bed this morning I started thinking about my workout goals. When I had those few free sessions with a personal trainer, he asked me what my goal was and he used it to motivate me whenever I got super tired. Eyes on the prize, if you will.

I haven't been very motivated because I've been focusing on improving my physical appearance. Too bad I don't really care that much. I'm not worried about 5 extra pounds or a little softness in my middle.

However, even if I can't see any effects on the outside, it doesn't mean my insides are doing okay. I decided this morning that I'm more worried about my heart health, taking into account my high cholesterol and LDL.

Your habits in your 20's are what set the stage for your health later on. You don't all of a sudden have heart disease at 40- it starts developing years earlier. I've decided I can't just ignore these warning signs. I don't want to be kicking myself 20 years from now, saying, "If I had only taken better care of myself."

I'm not at particular risk from family history, but heart disease is the leading cause of death in the US, and in most developed countries. I think that makes it kind of an issue on everyone's list.

I think it will be pretty motivating to imagine my blood vessels congested with globules of oxidizing fats every time I get tired or want to have a dinner of cake frosting and fruit snacks. *cough* last night *cough*

So, let's see if this shift in thinking can help me get my lazy ass to the gym more often and stop eating piles of crap.

1 comment:

  1. That is what my motivation has always been. Not so much heart health, but just general health. My family has all kinds of freak diseases that I'd rather not deal with. It seems like the risk of every diseases out there can be lowered just by eating right and being active. I'd so much rather have that be my life style change now, rather then have medication and other things be my lifestyle change later!

    ReplyDelete