07 February 2010

wild hair

As of yesterday, I could say that I've never dyed my hair.

Why?

I've always really liked my natural hair color, and I am kind of obsessed with having healthy-loooking, soft hair. Dyeing is damaging, and I never wanted that straw hair that I've seen on people who dye it.

I've been feeling that urge lately to change something. You know, I get that a couple times a year. I don't want another tattoo and I don't have any more respectable places to put piercings, so the hair was it. I've been trying to grow my hair out so I didn't want a cut. That left only a new color. DUN DUN DUNNNN

Feeling half adventurous and half scared, I opted for a semi-permanent color that will wash out in 28 shampoos. We will see. I wanted to do a color that was noticeably different, not just a shade darker.

So, Missy, Steve, and Akhtar came over. We first called Akhtar's mom for confirmation of how to use this stuff. (Not that she dyes her hair. She's just knowledgeable.)

Then Steve was reading the directions and asked if I'd done the "48 hour skin test" for allergies. Psh. No "strand test" either. I suppose that was okay.

So, everyone donned purple gloves and dye started being combed into my hair. I think it's so funny that Steve kinda took over as the stylist and everyone else (including me) gave him advice and told him where he missed spots. We joked that I would come out with patches of color and Akhtar would call me Patches McGee. I joked, but I was half secretly scared and half, "who cares?"

Once it was combed through it had to sit for 10 minutes, at which point Missy said, "I wonder if I should get some low-lights? She didn't need much convincing- before anyone could say yay or nay she had her hair down and was headed for the chair, lol.

We had a system going with the tin foil and it was quite funny to see her Medusa tin foil hair.

When it came time to lather and rinse, Akhtar stepped up. I expected him to be timid but he just dove right in and manhandled my head, lathering and rinsing and getting water in my ear and I was laughing so hard with my head in the sink that I could hardly breathe.

Anyway, after it was all said and done, there was hair dye pretty much everywhere, I had dark hair, Missy's didn't really show up, and we had Mike n Ikes to snack on.

So: the before and after:

BEFORE



AFTER


My comments:

The after picture is a little frizzy because I was impatient for it to dry and blow dried it.

Do I like it?

I don't hate it, but I like my natural color way better. It's a neat change, and was fun to do.

So now I start my life as a brunette. By doing schoolwork I should have done yesterday...

2 comments:

  1. Fun times! I like the hair color but agree, your natural color is best on you!

    Can't wait for my Conan make over!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wait a minute...was your hair dyed when I came over to drop off the magazines?!

    Must have been the dim lighting and the distractions of the bad commercials...

    ReplyDelete