22 April 2010

kitten guilt

It seems the busier I get, the tireder I get, the grouchier I get, the needier Pumpkin gets. I come home every day tired, and Pumpkin jumps down from her windowsill the second I walk in the door, and meows her hellos. I usually say hello back and keep moving. I can't remember the last time I sat down to scratch her head for a few minutes or played a quick game- Chris usually did that when he'd come over but I haven't really done that lately.

She sits in her box for hours when I study and sleeps with me at night and she'll get a few quick scritches then, but during the day or evening she gets all needy and annoying and I throw her outside. She's not neglected- she gets fresh food and water every day, and I wash her placemat and bowls when they get dirty.

I'm extra-grouchy today and it occurred to me as Pumpkin sat there looking at me and meowing every once in a while, that I have a cat for a reason and it wouldn't kill me to take 5 minutes out and give her some attention. So I sat down and pet her, scratched her head, and she did the whole appreciative purr thing, but you could tell she was like, "Finally!"

I just feel guilty that I've been pretty much ignoring her pleas for attention for a while now. I've been busy and tried but that's really not any excuse.

But, since she's a cat all I have to do is say I'm sorry with some treats and some pets, and maybe a game of "catch the bird attached to this string" and all will be forgiven.

1 comment:

  1. if only it were that easy to assuage guilt for neglecting people - "here's five minutes to make up for me ignoring you all semester" ...Unfortunately people are way more needy than cats :(

    ReplyDelete