02 August 2011

duty

So today I had jury duty, again.
I had it for the city in November, and I got it again for the county in May. But May was a seriously shitty time to take off work so I postponed it to today.

After getting slightly lost, I made my way with a couple hundred other potential jurors into this huge room filled with pew-like benches. Sat there for about an hour while everyone got scanned in.

One thing I always notice in a quiet crowd: how much people cough. Do people just get the coughing urge in situations like that? Or do we always cough that much and don't notice till there's a bunch of us in a quiet room?

We watched a video about how we should be proud to be on a jury and it's awesome that we can have a trial of our peers and all that, and I actually got to thinking it might be kinda neat to be picked. What a cool experience, you know? That is, if I didn't have to miss work. I'd totally be down for any jury duty as long as I got paid for that day's work. And yes, I make more than $6/day, which is what they give you for showing up for jury duty. They give you the option and I donated mine, figuring someone needed it more than I do.

Anyway, they were going to pick out a bunch of us for a jury and eventually narrow us down to twelve. The lady started to call out the list of names, but right before she could, someone told her that they settled out of court. Meaning: we could all go home. Nice.

I called work and it seemed to be going smoothly, so I decided to take the rest of the day off. 

I came home, ate, and the killer headache that was looming all morning hit. I took a nap with no relief, so I took my magic pills. Now I feel better, and I made muffins. Not bad.

1 comment: