21 August 2011

Growl

Mk, so this is another strange coworker story.

There's this one phlebotomist, and she's a mousy, shy-looking woman. Except then you get to talking to her and you realize that's not the case. She's a pretty nice person to work with. She's definitely got her quirks though.

So a few weeks ago, she had gone out to draw some ammonias, which is a little more involved than most of the things we test. She had brought the specimens in, let me know they were there, and put them in the deep freeze.

I guess she hadn't marked the draws correctly on the paperwork and they didn't get ordered, but by that time I had already left. When the reference laboratory came to pick up all of our specimens at the end of the day, they must have picked up those two un-ordered specimens by accident, and since there were no orders, they were never tested.

The next day we had to send someone else out to draw them again, and she was upset because she had already done it. To be completely honest, I'm not confident that they were handled properly anyway and was happy they were getting re-drawn.

So I'm at the microscope reading a slide the next morning when I hear... growling... behind me. So I looked up and turned around and there she was, growling. At me. I asked her what was going on, and she asked me, still growling, why those ammonias were getting re-drawn. How do you growl and talk at the same time?? Especially if you're a tiny woman? She did it well.

I explained in about 10 seconds that it looked like it was a problem with paperwork and the accidental pickup (and that, honey, it's, um, not your fault...ish), and went back to reading my slide. I didn't have time to get into an argument with a growling woman about something that had already been decided.

I think she stuck around behind me for a few seconds, but I wasn't going to look back up and give her an opportunity to keep arguing. Eventually she left, growling.

No comments:

Post a Comment