09 February 2012

Oh, kitten

Today I took Pumpkin in for another appointment regarding her funk breath.

Actually, the two issues I keep having with her are funk breath and her weight. It's been increasing over the past few years, when it was first mentioned that she was getting a little heavy. I stopped giving her table scraps and wet food and stuck to the dry food that the vet put her on years ago for bladder health. Much to Pumpkin's dismay. She loves her some wet food.

Frustratingly enough, she still gained weight, almost a pound a year-- which is kind of a lot when you only weigh 10 pounds. Well, 11 now. More on that later.

Last time I went to the vet, this past summer, the doctor suggested antibiotics and didn't think she needed a cleaning. It worked, but eventually the funk came back.

This time, a different doctor gave her a thorough checkup, then checked her teeth. She said there was gum disease and lots of tartar buildup. She even scraped some tartar off of a tooth with her fingernail. And I privately gagged a little bit, kuz... gross. I was kinda irked that the last doctor didn't notice or said everything was fine. Can it get that bad in a few months? I could have skipped all that antibiotic mess and went straight to the source.

Anyway, then I brought up her weight. Turns out, dry food is the worst thing I could have given her. She said cats need low carb diets, and wet food is best. So I was doing the opposite of what I needed to do. D'oh. So I have a list of low-carb canned cat food, and Pumpkin is about to get the best news of her little cat life. Wet food and ONLY wet food.

Maybe it will soften the blow of having to go back to the vet and be sedated for her teeth cleaning. Sorry, Punk. Looks like we'll both be getting our dental work done this year.

At least she will be happy she gets wet food again! I only hope the bladder issues don't return once she stops eating the special stuff. *cross your fingers*

**Update. I gave Pumpkin some wet food and she dug into it like a little piglet. She was even snorting and everything. LOL

1 comment: