06 August 2012

Protection

It all started when I just HAD to make scones last night. Chocolate chip cinnamon scones, to be exact.

Except I was out of chocolate chips. BUT I found some bars of chocolate in mom's pantry. So while I was happily chopping them, imagining how delicious the scones were going to be, I guess I spaced out and chopped right down on my pinky finger, even cutting through the nail.

Long story short, lots of blood, super glue, and a cotton ball under a tight bandaid stopped the bleeding. I am a genius.

Today I discovered just how much I use my pinky finger. Who knew I typed the letter "A" so many times in one day?? Apparently a lot, as a quick jolt of pain would remind me.

Anyway, a bandaid just wasn't cutting it. It kept getting sweaty in my gloves, slipping off, and the cut would start bleeding. I usually find blood on the outside of my gloves... not the inside. Not only that, but sometimes my gloves tear and I don't notice till there is all kinds of supposed nastiness on my hands-- and today, that nastiness would be in my wound. Between that and the regular hand-washing getting them wet, I had to find another solution.

I've heard of finger condoms before, and we had even purchased some when Frank had toe surgery, just to explore our options. They didn't work for Frank, but they worked beautifully for me. Kept the bandage on nice and snug inside my gloves. I secured it with surgical tape, and I had myself a waterproof cocoon that lasted all day. I knew they made those things for a reason.

No comments:

Post a Comment