27 November 2012

Toot's home

Whew. I have some catching up to do. Not really feeling the "one epic post." So, I'll start at the beginning.

I met Chris at the baggage claim on Friday. There's nothing better than his smile after 7 months. There might have been some public making-out-age.

Off to Galveston! Chris reserved a fancy shmancy room at our favorite hotel, the San Luis. We were given glasses of champagne at check-in, the first of many over the course of the last week and a half.

The hotel room had a great view, nightly turndown service with pillow chocolate, room service breakfast, champagne, and a freaking tv in the bathroom mirror. I said IN the bathroom mirror. I took a picture, but Chris is standing there in a towel and I doubt he wants that on the internet. At one point during our stay, I was taking a shower and Chris barges in saying, "WHY are you not watching TV???" Of course, how silly of me. When there's a tv embedded in your bathroom mirror, you pretty much HAVE to watch it. While showering.  So, I did- for the rest of the stay. It was ridiculous and awesome.

Badass hotel rooms aside, we had a fantastic weekend.

We visited the Pleasure Pier one night. It was tons of fun, and Chris even convinced me to ride the crazy-intense-for-a-boardwalk roller coaster. I think I lost years of my life on that thing. He won me a stuffed giraffe playing Whack-a-Mole, and I stuffed it into one of the cannons outside of the pirate's plunge ride. I figured if it was still there later, I'd take it home. When we went back after several hilarious rounds of bumper cars, it was gone.

We also spent an afternoon at Moody Gardens, checking out both the aquarium and the rainforest. The penguins were a hit.

One night we headed down to the pool, and discovered that the USMC in Galveston was having their birthday ball at the hotel. If we would have known, I would have brought a gown and we could have crashed it since Chris had his blues with him.

Instead, we grabbed some drinks and beelined towards the hot tub, since it was cold that night. It turned out there were several really nice, really cool people soaking up the heat. We recognized one couple because we shared a row of seats with them on the boardwalk roller coaster of doom. The other couple was there for their daughter's dance competition, and were actually from Sugar Land. Small world, huh? So we chatted for a while. I love meeting cool people on vacation, especially in the hot tub. Nothing more awkward than just sitting there not talking.

At one point Chris and I braved the cold night air to try out the water slide, which is NOT heated like the main pool. After an exhilarating, freezing ride down the slide and the shocking dunk into the unheated pool, we ran back to the hot tub and stayed there for the rest of the night.

Sunday we checked out the flight museum, headed back home, discovered that Chris ordered his ring WAY too big, and hung out with some of the family members that had traveled here for the wedding. Oh, and ordered another ring for Chris.

After an evening full of champagne and good times, it was time for bed.

Because the next day would change my life forever.

No comments:

Post a Comment