10 September 2008

computers and gadgets

You know how I'm always talking about how I need to back up my files? I always back up my school files but I'm talking about pictures and stuff.

Well today Windows automatically dowloaded an update and needed to restart the computer. So I clicked ok, and it shut down... and did not start back up. It was just a black screen.

So I turned it off, then on again a couple times, with just the black screen coming up. The little flickering light on the side of the computer that tells you it's thinking wasn't even working. Shit. In the past I got a new hard drive for 80 bucks and everthing was fine, but at least it started up in safe mode. This... was nothing. Maybe it wasn't just a crashed hard drive but some major system failure.

So I turned it upside down and started it, to see if the little fan was spinning. After a minute it started spinning as usual and making the appropriate clicks and whirrs. I looked at the screen, and we had life!

What followed was a frenzy of flash drives and cd burning to transfer a copy of all important files off of the computer. I got it done, and I have no idea if it will start back up the next time I turn it off, or if that little blip was a sign that it's about to die soon. I just hope I didn't forget to transfer anything.

Tomorrow I'm going out and getting larger external hard drive, to back everything up every time I need to, all in one place instead of on random flash drives and cds.

Most importantly, though, I like this computer! I have all the settings just the way I like them, and re-customizing a new computer would be a PAIN.

We shall see!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment