12 September 2008

Ike

What have I been up to? Preparing for Ike.

We have cases and a 50-gallon drum of water in the backyard, tons of juice boxes and pitchers of water. Batteries, bug spray, food, snacks, trash bags, and a generator that can run an AC unit and a fridge. Candles, flashlights, gas in our cars, you name it and we got it. My mom went out a few days ago before the mad crazy rush to get everything. And our stove is gas so we can still heat stuff and cook if the power and water goes out. Lots of people in our neighborhood have their windows boarded, too. Oh, and of course, we have plenty of booze. Because during a hurricane, there's not much else to do but party.

Of course, Chris gets the urge to prepare last minute. Just like he goes Christmas shopping on Christmas eve, we were in Target last night to get food. Not even hurricane stuff, but groceries in general too. MAN, those shelves were cleaned out! And the gas stations either had lines or were out of gas. I guess a lot of people prepare at the last minute...

My relatives who live in other parts of the country are watching the news and getting freaked out. My great aunt is praying and lighting candles for us in church today. Guess it couldn't hurt!

And I am a little skeptical to get all hyped up and freak out, like everyone does for no reason, but that thing is pretty huge. Way bigger than most hurricanes that come our way. I was shocked when I finally took a look to see what the fuss was about. We will probably get flooding and power outages, and a few trees knocked down. As they say, we're preparing for the worst.

If I lived in Galveston or all of the other mandatory evacuation areas, I'd be out of there for SURE. They showed on the news some people who are staying. They are freaking NUTS.

Here's one of the images:














It's supposed to hit us tonight, but it's already looking stormy and cloudy. Cross your fingers the damage isn't too bad!

3 comments:

  1. I've been watching the news on Ike. I hope all goes well for you out there! Keep us all posted on what the storm is like.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ike was such a pussycat. I still have electricity, cable and internet...I was hoping it would be more lord of the flies style. shirtless; bonfires; war paint; poking fat kids with sticks - why?because baby, I'm an anarchist!

    and i was also hoping for a moderate amount of looting...i need some art work for my apartment.

    ReplyDelete
  3. well, anonymous, you were one of the lucky ones! appreciate it!

    ReplyDelete