15 September 2008

Ike Update

This post is provided by Missy's internet.

So, I had hoped to be able to provide up-to-the-minute details on the hurricane-ness, but the power went out Thursday night and still is not back on at my house.

The hurricane itself was pretty scary, though it did not hit our area as bad because it veered at the end. Still, the winds were terrible, the trees were swaying, and my neighborhood got a LOT of trees and fences down. Our house had two trees land on it, and I'll post pictures later. We spent a lot of time cleaning up and it looks like orderly chaos now since none of the debris has really been picked up.

We had a generator and our water was running, so we kept our fridge cold. Our stove is gas so we were able to cook. Gas stations have lines going around the block, and others are just plain out of gas. That is life here right now. There was an awesome cold front that is coming through that is making life way better!

A lot of our neighborhood has power now, and the street right next to ours had power the night after the storm, so it's kind of frustrating that ours isn't back on. There are scattered areas of town with power.

The thing is, though, I can bitch about not having power but Galveston and Bolivar and Freeport and all those areas got hit WAY bad. There are people who lost everything and we are lucky that we have a house with just a little roof damage. I can't imagine my home being demolished, whole neighborhoods being reduced to rubble. My heart goes out to them.

UH is open tomorrow, but the local schools are not open until the end of the week. I guess we'll see what happens in the next few days.

1 comment:

  1. Whew, glad your back! Glad you guys rode it out okay.

    ReplyDelete