05 January 2009

how to remove dry erase marker

Dry erase marker and I have had our battles.

A few summers ago everyone took dry erase markers and wrote all over my white refrigerator. Great idea, right?

Except not. When it came time to wipe it off, it... didn't. I blamed it on cheap-ass dry erase markers.

Did I learn my lesson then? Of course not. I wrote on another white board that I have that is also magnetic and very nifty. With the same markers. I don't know what made me think that it would come off. "Insanity is doing the same thing and expecting different results." -Einstein

The good that came from this? Through trial and error, I have found a way to remove even the most stubborn dry erase marker. I've tried vodka, windex, rubbing alcohol, bleach, Goo Gone, WD-40, oven cleaner (I thought for SURE that would do it), clorox, baking soda, vinegar, etc.

It was like the time that I burned isopentyl acetate in a round-bottom flask in organic lab. It cost too much money to replace it, so I had to clean it. I tried at least 20 different solvents, including gasoline and spark plug cleaner. Oven cleaner finally worked.

Anyway. Back to the dry erase marker. What works?

Toothpaste.
I swear.

All you do is take a paper towel and stick a dab of toothpaste on it. I used Colgate Total. Rub it into the mark. After it dries for a minute, rub it some more. It might take elbow grease to get it all off, but it will come off. Wipe the residual toothpaste off, and repeat if it's really stubborn.

I promise this works.

13 comments:

  1. haha! did you remember all the stuff scott wrote on the top of your fridge too?

    i wonder if toothpaste would work for getting the scuffs off of my blue & yellow pumps

    ReplyDelete
  2. Actually, the stuff Scott wrote is still there because while I was cleaning I didn't see it and forgot about it!

    Scott was here and it was awesome! 8/23/07

    It will probably stay there forever, lol

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey, I went private (reason explained at my blog), but I'd love to invite you if you want.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I will have to remember the toothpaste trick, hairspray always worked for me.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yeah, last time I tried it is when we had a shop at Traders Village years ago, but just few shots of hairspray from a can took it right off.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hahahaha...you can always count on that Colgate total...7 layers of protection

    ReplyDelete
  7. thanks so much :]
    your a lifesaver. ..lol

    i wrote on my magnetic board; thinking it was dry-erase and i got it off with toothpaste, just like you said

    ReplyDelete
  8. GENIUS, found this on google =)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I want not approve on it. I assume warm-hearted post. Particularly the designation attracted me to read the unscathed story.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Good post and this mail helped me alot in my college assignement. Gratefulness you as your information.

    ReplyDelete
  11. You have to express more your opinion to attract more readers, because just a video or plain text without any personal approach is not that valuable. But it is just form my point of view

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your blog keeps getting better and better! Your older articles are not as good as newer ones you have a lot more creativity and originality now. Keep it up!
    And according to this article, I totally agree with your opinion, but only this time! :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thank you so much! I know this is an old article, I just came across it on Google. I have a dry erase reusable iced coffee cup and I used a bad marker on it; I have tried nearly EVERYTHING and the marker would not come off. Tried the toothpaste method and it came off in a couple of minutes!

    ReplyDelete