22 December 2009

a little bit of magic

Drinking green tea. Just finished off two pecan nut cups- they're a holiday treat at our house.


Scalloped potatoes w/ cheese in the oven. Our lives revolve around food. Yum. I've decided life's too short to diet around Christmas time.

My dad was pouting this year because the neighborhood decided that you can't win the same award for Christmas lights two years in a row, so he cut back on the lights. Too bad he still won Best Lighting! Just imagine if he'd actually tried...



I'm kinda disappointed that a lot of houses this year didn't put lights up. The economy? Bah humbugs? Dunno. They used to have a group award, and entire cul-de-sacs used to go crazy with lights, with every house going all out.

It was magical as a kid to turn down the street full of shiny, blinking lights and a santa, sleigh, and reindeer strung across the streetlamps across the street. Dayna- remember Fair Acres? That was so awesome. I think you could see that stuff from space, haha.

Our entire street used to put up lights along the sidewalk and lit-up arches at every walkway, and it looked so amazing. I think a lot of people stopped putting lights up because before they didn't want to let the street down in the competition, but now there's no incentive. It's like a little of that Christmas magic is gone this year.

Last night when we were in the mall shopping for mom's gifts (which was totally fun and we were way too loud in every store, haha) we came across the Santa and all the cute little kids were lined up to sit on his knee. The only thing was, people had brought their dogs to see Santa... like a lot of people. We all kinda thought that was strange, but we're really not "those" kind of pet people to begin with. The Santa looked good, too. Real happy and rosy-cheeked and all that.

I can hear my dad snoring on the couch and mom singing carols in the kitchen. We always joke that no one in our family can sleep during the daytime... a nap sounds really good right now. Happy night before the night before the night before Christmas!

3 comments:

  1. oh my god i loved those pecan cups...they were soooo delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  2. OMG I was just about to leave a comment to say the EXACT SAME THING!

    NEED RECIPE STAT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    I ate 75% of the ones you gave us. Saving the last one for Richard...maybe.

    YUMMY!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I noticed the lights around our town this year are lacking too, I was wondering what was causing it. It's a bit disappointing but makes me want to go all out next year.

    ReplyDelete