16 December 2009

some doctors suck

Hm, Frankish is starting to have the same tummy symptoms that I had at about his age. The doctors tell him it's stress and refuse to test him for Celiac because his symptoms aren't textbook. Neither were mine! It's very frustrating and I know how it feels to -know- something is wrong, yet doctors think it's all in your head. You don't feel sick every single day no matter what you eat or do- for no reason. I feel for the poor guy.

I told him to go to the doctor and don't take "it's stress" for an answer without any further investigation. The doctor he went to at the quack shack at school performed no tests. I mean, how can you possibly know something's not wrong without at least checking for H. pylori, an ulcer, parasites, or any of the bajillion reasons your stomach could hurt? I just don't understand. Yes, doctors are busy, but if you don't investigate a patient properly, what is the goddamn point? Just rattle off the most common diagnosis and prescribe some pills- it's a disgrace.

I also told him to demand a celiac test- if at the very least to rule it out.

I'm glad my mom is going with him and she usually gets her way.

Ugh, I'm so frustrated at the lack of good doctors out there. Most of the ones that I've been to seem to not even listen or care about what you tell them. I once had a doctor stop me in the middle of describing my symptoms and prescribe me an allergy pill. I hadn't even told her what was hurting where, and she was already writing it off based on the first thing I said. Didn't even look at my nose with the little light-up thing. I was more than a little irked.

I don't know if doctors start out trying to help and just become bogged down by the system, or if they start out corrupted by the pharmaceutical companies, or what, but it's so disheartening to not be able to trust the "care" you're getting.

Anyway, I really hope Frank doesn't have celiac. That would suck for him.

1 comment:

  1. I wish him the best...I so know what you mean about lazy doctors who are more interested in the pills then they are the proper diagnosis. I finally found a wonderful doctor who treats me like a person and takes his time. I love my doctor and hope everyone can find a doctor they care for as well.

    ReplyDelete