21 December 2009

Tradition

Today was supposed to be the day that I started exercising again and eating healthy. Too bad I lounged around and snacked all day. The thing is, I feel absolutely no motivation. I know I might have gained some LBs, but I don't really feel it. In my head I know it's better for me, but I don't really care enough to get up and go. I'm so content with being lazy. I know I won't be ready till I'm ready, but then again I know if I force myself to do it, I'll have it done.

Tonight: mom's gifts. In my family we have a tradition, A few days before Christmas, everyone but mom goes out and shops for mom's gifts. We all have already bought her something separate, but we get her gifts from all of us. Mom usually has a glass of wine and soaks in the tub while we're out. I think it originated when we were little kids and she needed some time to chill out and get Santa's gifts wrapped, but we still do it.

We all go together, and she always gets: Calgon bath salts, some kind of gardenia bath stuff, socks, and slippers. Every year. She loves it. Then we decide what else to get her and we all go to pick out that gift. When you get six people coordinated and hyper, it's like too many cooks in the kitchen. Especially if we have to go to the mall because crowds never make a situation better. It's pretty much a recipe for someone's temper to flare, and there's usually at least one argument. But, it's tradition and we wouldn't have it any other way. Besides, my family gets over things pretty quick.

Then we come home, pile out of the vehicles (this was much cuter when we were little. Now that we're big it's much more like a stampede of grown people who are all hyped up and happy to be done with shopping) and make a big deal out of mom having to stay in her room while we wrap. Correction: While I wrap. Then when the gifts are under the tree she comes out and pokes arounnd a little bit, shakes a few, then we tell her to keep her snout out, we laugh, then we all go back to what we'd normally do.

I made it sound chaotic and annoying, and it kind of is, but it's usually a lot of fun too.

1 comment:

  1. reason #447 i want to be part of your family. want another sister? i come bearing a nephew for you and grandson for your mom.

    ReplyDelete