06 May 2010

food, doctors, books

Despite the horrors that induced streams of curses yesterday, I decided not to let it ruin my week, and to take it in stride. In 91 days, this will all be worth it. I hope.

Last night I found myself in Jessica's kitchen making gluten free chicken enchiladas for 8 people while Akhtar had the sides going. When I put them in the oven I realized that I really didn't know if they were going to turn out ok. I didn't follow a recipe or anything. Fortunately, they were actually pretty good. Everyone ate them and no one died. I only ate a small amount, as I was suffering from margarita-on-an-empty-stomach indigestion. Good thing I noshed on a gluten free cupcake Jessica got from Whole Foods before dinner. Man, they were delicious.

I also got a letter from Chris yesterday, which helped the mood. As soon as I took the letter out of the envelope, I was greeted with this:

Yes, I still claim him. I thought it was funny. Man I forget how much I miss him until I get a page full of his writing. He's doing well.

This morning I went and got my annual violation. Man, you never get used to that feeling. My doctor commented on my "perfect BMI," and seemed pleased that I wasn't sleeping around. You know.

She told me to start taking calcium supplements, and also wanted to run my CBC and cholesterol. You know, the ones I ran by myself in February and they were really shitty. I don't care what she says- I'm not taking statins if my cholesterol is high. My HDL is high enough for me not to worry.
Anyway, I asked if I could run them at school and avoid having to pay for them. She agreed and said I could just fax the results. Sweet.

Then I biked the 1.5 miles to the library to return a couple of books I borrowed. It's a nice morning.

The first was Crazy as Chocolate by Elisabeth Hyde. It was a good, quick afternoon read. Kinda reminded me of The Divine Secrets of the YaYa Sisterhood, what with the crazy mother that everyone kinda doesn't know what to do with.

I also got a book that's actually a collection of stories, Do The Windows Open. As soon as I opened it, I realized that I've already borrowed the book and I could never get into it the first time I borrowed it. I tried to read it again but it just wasn't catching my interest.

One out of two books grabbed from the shelf ain't bad.

Ash is putting together a garage sale for Saturday, so hopefully I can get rid of some of my extra crap lying around.

No comments:

Post a Comment